Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Crafting Wherever, Whenever

My favorite thing about the knitting + crocheting niche is that I am not tied to a designated desk all day in order to get my products made.


I can stash a ball of yarn and utensils (scissors + needles or hook) in my purse and work wherever I am that day.  When I would chauffeur all day, I could knit at our stops (15 minutes here; 45 minutes there), or when I would watch an older gentleman in his home (while his daughter/ caretaker was out running her errands) I would knit while he watched a movie or we would work on a puzzle.  Sometimes I'd bring my laptop to catch up on emails + blog reading/writing.  But the best part about this aspect is that when I'm waiting in a long line or in a waiting room, I can happily pass the time productively knitting (or crocheting) without feeling like I'm "wasting my time."

The other great part about this niche is how infinite it is.  There are so many different interpretations on the same project, let alone on the different items + styles that one can create out of yarn, that there are vast options available to the customer. 

Sometimes I think it is hard to be original in this field because it may seem like everything has been done.  But then I allow myself to solve a problem with my own puzzle-solving creativity before I look to the internet to "tell" me how others have solved it (youtube, pinterest, etc).  You can see examples of my problem-solving when you read one of my original patterns.

What is your favorite thing about your niche?

2 comments:

  1. Liesl - I wonder if we couldn't try to organize one over a Google Hangouts video chat? Wouldn't that be fun to have a tea/coffee chat + knitting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, did you see I have flowers + bow ties in my etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete