Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Another Art Walk Season!


I'm feeling a little nervous but more giddy + excited that this summer's Art Shows are finally starting!  Physical shows are my favorite parts of summer (minus the veggie garden, the evening fires, stroller walks,… ok, I guess I like a lot about the warmer months) because they allow me to get to know my customers + see what they are drawn to.  It also allows them to provide effortless feedback in what they would like to see me improve upon or create next.  I love constructive feedback!  

Freebie 


This year I will continue offering a free scrappy bracelet (free pattern coming next Wednesday!) to all who stop by my table as this has been my greatest success in drawing customers in.  Who can resist a fun freebie?!  I've already got a fun new idea made up for the winter holidays….

Packaging


I've spent all day Wednesday + Thursday last week trying to get a new aspect of my take-away packaging designed + laid out for print.  Why do label alignments have to be such a pain to tweak?!

I'd also love to have white + blush tissue paper at the ready in a portable "packing station" with these stickered bags, but I don't see that happening for this Art Walk.  Perhaps in June or July…

Marketing

The Facebook event has been responded to + sent out to all my local friends; and posts on my Facebook Page have been drafted + scheduled to remind the heck out of all my said local friends ;-)

You might even see a few Tweets + Instagram posts!

Teaching


I'll also be working the teaching angle more -- so many people come by and say (or think; I can read it on many faces), "I/my grandmother could make that" and I always want to interject, "Yeah, but will you/she?"  I admit I used to be one of these browsers at many craft fairs -- but then after having been behind the table, I've realized I won't make "that;" I don't have the time!  And this has always stuck with me since.  Not only are you purchasing from someone who has already made the item (it's sitting right there!), they have already experienced the trial-and-error to make the best version of this craft AND they saved you the time invested!  Not to mention you are SUPPORTING them + their chosen craft.  What could be a better reason!?

I hope this year more customers + browsers will remember this nugget of wisdom when they attend their art festivals + fairs + shows this year:  Sure, you could make it; but will you?


What are you preparing for this summer?  If you are cultivating a customer-producer relationship, what do you wish your customer knew?

9 comments:

  1. Your new branding looks great so far! Can't wait to see what you have in store at the art walks =) I think your advice is a great point! I've never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, how sweet! I'm glad you were able to get what you wanted, albeit a few days late ;) I sent a few cards to the important mom figures in my life. I'm lucky to have a great mom, aunt, and grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard about Google SEO before. Interesting stuff!

    As a reader, I prefer shorter posts most of the time with occasional longer posts. I feel I really need to sit down and dedicate time to read a long post, but the short ones I can enjoy as a quick break =) I also enjoy the peek into someone else's life. It's fun, and helps me feel connected even when I don't see people very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking a lot on what I want to call my business. I'll def. take up your brainstorming suggestions =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Meghan! I loved seeing you down at the Art Walks - wish I could have chatted with you more but hopefully next month if not before :)

    Yes, it was like an ah-ha moment for me as well! Now I love "treating" myself to locally crafted purchases because not only am I feeling giddy with my new toy, but I'm so proud to be supporting handmade artisans! It's such an amazing feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a huge thing with businesses + marketing in general. But I feel like it gets too much attention most of the time.


    I'm right there with you! You are speaking my feelings, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome, Meghan! I'd be happy to help you brainstorm, too, if you're the collaborative type like I am :) Also, you should join us over at Daring Creative Workshop on Facebook. It's a great community all helping each other out + sharing knowledge! :)
    http://facebook.com/groups/daringcreativeworkshop

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a blessing! + And how sweet of you to send them all Mother's Day cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I'll check it out =)

    ReplyDelete