Monday, June 1, 2015

Garden Layout + Plans

I've finally found a few spare minutes to write + draw our veggie + flower garden plans this year!!  Can I just say how excited I am for this after reading everyone else's posts on their gardens + drooling over seed catalogs since Februrary!?

We were originally talking about moving the vegetable garden beds this year but with so much already on our plate we have agreed that it will have to wait for next year.  Hopefully this means we can finally focus on installing the picket fence + flower bed/retaining-wall with a strawberry bed along the back of our property (and separating it from the alley).  


We had planned to do this over 2 years ago but we didn't want to block any necessary access for the construction of the home addition.  Now that it is nearly complete(!) I'm super excited to get this project underway.  We have so much planned for this property (house + yard) it will have undergone such a transformation from the day we purchased it.  Maybe I'll post a Before + After this Fall…

The first transformation in 2012

Dan has made it a point since our first summer here that the front of our house needs to have flowers + nice landscape.  Growing up, I never cared for flowers past planting them.  But now seeing both the monetary investment + the beauty that is possible, I am eager to keep up with their care + maintenance (aka remember to water them daily).  Curb appeal is definitely on my priority list for a happy home.

Notes: Re-side the house in grey  |  Remove shutters  |  Paint the mailbox teal?
Rebuild the stoop; Eventually build a front porch

As for the veggie garden, I have been trying to keep a garden journal longer than the planting stage.  I am always so eager to plant + plan my patch but then I forget to record when we harvested what, for how long, and when it stopped producing.  



My long term goals for our vegetable garden is companion planting, intensive rotation, and high yield for canning + freezing.  I'd love to be able to dry our own berries (strawberries + blueberries) but I don't see our plants producing too much anytime soon.


Each year we try a new veggie to see how well it grows for us + to expand our recipe repertoire + to encourage ourselves to try new foods.  I haven't found one for this year's garden yet, so if you have a suggestion I've love to hear it in the comments!


What are your plans for your yard, flower beds, and/or vegetable garden this year?  Please feel free to share a link(s) in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment