Friday, June 12, 2015

Improve Your Reach with #Hashtags

I don't know about you, but I've been a holdout for using hashtags when they first arrived on the social media scene.  I thought they looked so dumb in text updates + sometimes I couldn't even read them right away because they were so long.  I was disgusted + turned off by them.



And then I started dabbing in Instagram tags. #CrochetersofInstagram #KnittersofInstagram #EtsySeller #EtsyShop.

And then I tried a few more specific ones #SpringShellBeanie #MiniCowl and my favorite #NaptimeSuccess.  And the glee I've experienced(!) when I discovered I've created a "new" hashtag (aka, there are no other photos listed with said hashtag).  I love continuing to tag more images of mine with these unique tags to create a personal collection of projects.

Which is what hashtagging is all about!  To collect similar images together that fit a specific demographic, image style, image subject, audience, and more!

Why did I not try this sooner??  So many new connections have now been opened to me to experience new like-minded creators + inspirations!  Not to mention the amount of traffic I've gained on Twitter + Instagram just by others discovering me through the same hashtag channels.  I wish Instagram had analytics so I could figure out how many new friends I've made in the last 2 months.

Instagram has definitely become my favorite organic inspiration since Pinterest is such a black hole of inspiration overload (but I still love it!!)

What are your experiences with hashtags?  How do you best grow your reach?

9 comments:

  1. What a fun pattern! I love how you've found a way to make this simple pattern work on a variety of pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! So fun! I can't wait to own a house someday =) You guys really do such a great job beautifying it. The mailbox is a great place to add in fun color! And if you don't like it, it'd definitely be easier than repainting the front door (which is another place I see people add in a splash of color).

    As a side note, your hand writing is fabulous!


    I'm trying to remember what interesting stuff we got to try in our CSA. Oh, something I like is parsnips. They're a root vegetable that's great for roasting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been loving the rainy days with cooler temps.

    That's so fun to design your sisters invites! I really need to work on mine now that you mention it lol

    Writing down titles and summaries is a great idea. That way when you do have the time to sit and write, you're not starting with a blank page staring back at you, which I find quite intimidating.

    Wow! I can't believe the temp. wall is down! That's AWESOME! So glad progress is marching forward! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if you need any help designing yours! I did it all in Word (big mistake) + after a frustrating handful of hours, redid it all in 30 minutes on Canva.com.

    The outlines definitely help - who knew those teachers were on to something in middle school? ;)

    Yes, you should come see it! It is finally starting to hint at the final feeling! :-D I need to do another update w/ pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Meghan! That truly means a lot, because I have a terrible habit of only looking at what still needs doing instead of stepping back + loving what we've already accomplished. Haha, very true! (I might be one of those people that totally wants a lime-green front door.....)

    Aw, thanks darling! I keep trying to "improve" it.

    I think I've tried parsnips once... I've never done a CSA but keep wanting to. I'm just terrified I'd let most of it go to waste because I don't know how to cook it/ plan it into a week's menu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe, I'm definitely a master at working one stitch pattern into a variety of pieces, that's for sure! :-P It's like when you find a new favorite toy + have to bring it with you EVERYWHERE for a week, and then it's old news because you found a NEW toy to drag around everywhere for a week... lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check out canva.com. I've never heard of it. I've spent most of my time download and trying out fonts ;) It's been a long time since I've done that. Boy, they made it easy! Font Book is like the best thing ever!


    I'd love to come over again sometime. Once all this pesky wedding planning is done ;) I'm glad I have my days mostly free because DIYing wedding stuff has become a full time job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a CSA, but I think unless you're feeding a lot of people with varied tastes, it's better to pick and choose yourself from the farmers market. We got a lot of stuff we didn't like, but kept getting a ton of (pea shoots was one of those items). We got so much corn. We ended up freezing a lot. I think it took us like 9 months to get through all the frozen corn. I think we got a dozen ears a week for like 2 months, and that was a half share! If you ever decide to do one, ask for a list of what went into each box for the length of the CSA (not just one week). You might see that some items get repeated a lot, or you might find a hidden gem of a program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some great feedback, Meghan, I never would have thought about seeing a list of the produce for a season - or getting too much of something I don't like, haha.

    ReplyDelete