Friday, July 3, 2015

July's ePattern:

This month I thought it'd be fun to do a "warm weather" project that won't roast you while you work on it.  Unlike when I made an afghan in Bristol, Rhode Island while celebrating July 4th a few summers ago...


Trying to come up with a good warm weather project has definitely stumped me, though.  So I've been mulling over these questions...

"What items could be useful this season?"

"What do I enjoy making in the summer?"

"What fibers are enjoyable to work with when it's hot?"

And these led me to... coasters... hot mitts... washcloths, soap savers, headbands... seat cushions and pillow covers.

So which one would you choose?

Crochet Coasters | theknittedhome.com

This month I chose to release the pattern for my simple double crochet round coasters.  This was my second coaster pattern after first making them in single crochet.  Even though I loved the sturdiness of the single-crochet ones, I love the softer texture + look of this design.  Not to mention they whip up so much quicker!

They are easily customizable in cotton (my first choice), acrylic, or any fiber that will hold it's shape.

What do you enjoy crafting when it's hot outside?  What pattern would you like to see next?  PS - Happy 4th of July!  Have a great weekend! :)

3 comments:

  1. Fun! It's great that you're releasing patterns for beginners. Starting with a simple project is a great way to get into crochet. Hmm... it's hard to say what's a good summer project. I think my next will be amigurumi once I get done with my wedding tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan, I completely agree! I think one of the drawbacks of being a beginner is looking at all the gorgeous, intricate patterns + thinking you don't have the skills to create worthwhile, "real life" projects until you've mastered a handful of stitches. I've been crocheting very basic stitches most of my crafting career + I love how easy it is to create useful items that can be used in real, everyday life that don't make you look "like a granny." hehe.

    An Amigurumi will be fun! What pattern are you thinking? I hope the wedding planning is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often skip the easy stuff because the hard stuff looks fun when finished, and then quit partway through because I'm not ready for it =P

    There's a new video game coming out called Yoshi's Woolly World, and I'd like to make a Yarn Yoshi! I found a free pattern online that I want to try (http://robotrish.com/2010/05/02/free-amigurumi-yoshi-pattern/). I've got all the supplies, I just need some time ;)

    Thanks! Wedding planning is... an adventure, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete